Restaurant: Admiralty Chinese Cuisine– Chicken Review
Last visited: Oct. 14, 09
Area: Richmond, BC
8700 McKim Way (Used to be in the Admiralty Mall food court)
JUST moved to Empire Mall near Hon’s on No3 Rd in Richmond
Price Range: $10 or less
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
Food: 5.5 (Just for their chicken)
Ambiance: n/a in a food court
- Famous for chicken
- Popular to Chinese, very authentic
- Cash only
** Recommendation: Chicken or “Chiu Chow Sau See Gai“
This review is dedicated only to the chicken because
1) I’ve never tried anything else they offer
2) Known for their chicken
It’s a total hole in the wall in the food court (more than the others) and I honestly don’t know what else they serve at this restaurant. There’s never a line-up and it’s not even busy, but I think it’s because they have a very limited menu. The only thing people order is their chicken and I don’t even know the name of it in English. Most if not all of the menu is in Chinese – so if you have difficulties ordering just print off my pictures and show them (or attempt the phonetic translation I included up top). I know it sounds like a hassle – but the chicken is THAT good here. I think they serve chicken and then chicken on rice…I’ve never seen anything else come out of here.
- **Chicken or “Chiu Chow Sau See Gai” 5.5/6
- If you’re not Asian this probably looks really gross to you. It even looks gross to me. It doesn’t even look flavourful or appetizing, but it sure is!
- It’s white and dark chicken with skin and a little bone, they try and remove most of it. You don’t even get much meat on them, but the meat you do get is amazing. The marinade is just awesome! It’s cooked so well. So moist, so tender. It’s steamed and they steam it with the chicken fat so the chicken is really moist. Believe it or not it’s more tender/moist/flavourful than most roast/grilled/baked chicken I’ve had.
- The chicken is very aromatic with tons of white pepper are garlic, but they’re not spicy either. It’s really savoury, but not salty…it’s great! It lightly coated with this garlicky paste/sauce that they make and it enhances the natural flavour of the chicken.
- This chicken isn’t cheap either. Half a chicken: $13 Whole chicken: $24