Restaurant: Yummy Asian Delights
Last visited: November 3, 09
Area: Richmond, BC (Richmond Public Market food court)
Unit 2100, 8260 Westminster Hwy
Price Range: $10 or less
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
- Family owned/operated
- Hole in the wall Malaysian stand in Richmond Public Market food court
- One of the popular stands
- Quite authentic, but really oily/greasy
- Great deal – 2 items on rice about $4.25
- Big portions, pile up the food
- Offers Malaysian shaved ice desserts
- Cash only
I haven’t tried enough here to make a fair judgment about their overall food or to give a recommendation for what to order. I ordered 2 items on rice which was a great deal and they load up your plate. I think it was about $4.25, but I don’t really remember. There’s at least 12 items to chose from and you can see them all. Everything is quite authentic although it’s pretty greasy. They make about 3 kinds of deep-fried halibut/fish and the pieces are pretty big. A lot of people went for this.
- Malaysian BBQ Halibut 3.5/6
- I actually have no idea what this is called, I just chose it because it looks really good.
- What I called it is the best way to describe it, except it’s not barbequed. It’s actually boneless strips of halibut deep fried and then sauteed in the Malaysian style BBQ sauce.
- The sauce tastes like a combination of Hoisin sauce, garlic, soy sauce and fish sauce.
- The fish was really good and tasted like fish jerky. It wasn’t necessarily dry, but it has that texture and marinade where it tastes like jerky. It was very flavourful, saucy and the strips are pretty big. Quite greasy though, but you expect it from these places.
- Eggplant and Tofu Curry 1.5/6
- I don’t know if this was the name of it either. It was a vegetarian Malaysian curry made with big chunks of eggplant, green beans, cabbage and tofu puffs.
- The beans weren’t very fresh in this and the curry sauce was way too mild. It looked like it has been sitting under the heat lamps for too long. Which very well could have been the case. It was almost bland. Not spicy at all.
- The tofu puffs absorbed a lot of sauce so those were good, but everything else was just bland and mushy. It was almost like a stew or soup.
- They had really big chunks of eggplant, but when they served it they tried skimping out on them. I specifically asked for at least 3. Do the same 🙂
Sometimes I really crave greasy food court grub like this =). It looks really good in the pics, especially the halibut. Tofu and eggplant sound good, too.
Urgh, the greasy descriptions are offputting. 🙂 I'm not familiar with this location but are there any other better places in this same food court? Or perhaps those are future posts…?
Lol I'm sure you're not the only one! I mean it's actually pretty good, and here you're paying 1/4 of the price!…I feel like you're getting more than you pay for too.
There are about 12 stands at this food court and all of them serve Asian/Chinese food.
There are certainly ones that do better than others and Yummy Malaysian Delights is one of them. Actually maybe only 4/12 do well. I'll be posting on others in the future for sure. Peanuts is a very popular bubble tea stand there and I'll have my review up for that this week.
Wow Mijune, you probably eat out as much as I shop!! I love that you try so many different places though and review them all. I know how time-consuming blogging can be so kudos to you!
Thanks for all your lovely comments on my blog, I really appreciate them!
That BBQ halibut sounds SO GOOD. esp with that combination of sauces that you described. I really shouldn't be on your blog at this hour because I tend to get hungry but OH WELL. I'm not a big fan of eggplant though so I could do without the big strips of eggplant in that curry lol.
Woot. A good Richmond-centric food blog, finally!
Hey Nicole! No it's bad…but good! I eat out so much and the only reason I'm not a gillion pounds is b/c I love fashion =)
Yeah that bbq halibut is greasy, but so good!!! Yeah I used to hate eggplant, and then suddenly one day my taste buds just changed…so random!
Thank you!! Check out my reviews on other Richmond reviews by clicking on the "Richmond" label.
This link will bring you straight to al of my Richmond reviews to date.