Restaurant: 8 Juice
Last visited: March 6, 2010
Location: Aberdeen Mall – Richmond, BC
Address: 4151 Hazelbridge Way
Price Range: $10 or less
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
Food: 2.5 (Based on their #1 drink only)
Ambiance: N/A (Food court)
- Healthy desserts/drinks
- Fresh fruit
- Made upon order
- Specializes in drinks only
- Fresh fruit juices
- Milkshake/yogurt drinks
- Cash only
- Asian Jugo Juice
Recommendations: N/A – but if you’re going to go get the #1 house special – Mango + coconut milk + tapioca + pomelo drink
This is basically the Chinese version of Jugo Juice. 8 Juice is located in the Aberdeen food court. They specialize in fresh fruit drinks and everything is blended, shaken, stirred upon order…like a bubble tea place….but they have no bubble tea.
This is pretty much one of the only places in Richmond serving mango, coconut, tapioca and pomelo drink that is so famous in Hong Kong. You can’t even find this drink at many bubble tea places because the “tapioca” is not pearls – the tapioca is “sago” which is smaller and white in colour.
In Hong Kong the most famous place to have this dessert/drink is Hui Lau Shan. I love it! If you’ve had that then this place is really not good. I was so disappointed. To be fair it’s the only thing I’ve tried on the menu…but if it’s their “No.1 House Specialty” then I don’t have much hope.
After Twittering about the mango, coconut and sago drink the last couple days I had a major craving and decided to check this place out. The guy was really nice, but unfortunately my craving is not satisfied and I don’t think it can be because I don’t know anywhere else that serves it.
On the table
Mango, Coconut Milk, Tapioca and Pomelo Drink – 2.5/6
- It’s the “No 1 House Specialty”
- Compared to Hui Lau Shan in Hong Kong it is not good
- It was really watered down, frothy, but almost bland. I couldn’t taste much mango or coconut milk and it was a major ‘save money’ move.
- The mango juice has a very light mango flavour and they blend it with 2% milk and a touch of coconut milk which I couldn’t taste at all.
- There were small bits of mango in the drink, not a lot though. Some of the mango was hairy though….pieces that were too close to the seed.
- There was even less pomelo. The pomelo is very shredded into each sliver or ‘pocket’ so you have individual “strands” of it. Pomelo is basically an Asian grapefruit. It’s sweeter and not bitter though. It’s quite neutral in flavour.
- It’s a drink that you need to chew with all the fruit and tapioca. However the tapioca is so small you just end up swallowing them unlike the bigger black tapioca pearls.