Restaurant: Maple Castella – Pork Floss Bread
Last visited: March 7, 2010
Location: Richmond, BC
Address: #1068 – 8700 McKim Way (In Admiralty Cenre)
Price Range: $10 or less
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
Food: (6 for hits, 2 for miss)
Service: n/a(biased b/c they know me now)
- Taiwanese bakery in Richmond
- Specializes in Taiwanese buns/baked goods (sweet & savoury)
- All breads/buns made on site daily
- Amazing breads and buns – cookies not as great though
- Bread are more on the sweeter side
- Always busy, familiar to locals and Chinese
- Taiwanese bakery not Cantonese – so buns are different than Chinese bakeries like Maxim’s
- Closed Thursday
- Smells absolutely delicious inside and outside the bakery
Recommendations: Pumpkin Bread, Pork Floss Bread, Pork floss bun with the egg wrapped around it
Maple Castella is still one of my favourite Asian bakeries. Sure they have some items that are better than others, but the stuff that is good is really really really good! For example the famous pumpkin bread that I have recommended to everyone – so far I haven’t received any negative feedback from it.
Everything is made daily and seriously the bread (the loaves) sells out as soon as it comes out of the oven. They only make about 12 loaves of each type of bread a day. It’s small bakery with a small operation so believe me when I say PRE-ORDER. Any of their loaves, even their white bread sells out at the end of the day. The Pumpkin Bread is a guaranteed sell out in like 2 hours on a slow day.
This entry is on another bread that I really enjoy there. The pork floss bread!
On the table:
**Pork Floss Bread – 6/6
- $4.00 for half a loaf – don’t think they offer them in whole loaves.
- I love it just as much as the pumpkin bread, and it’s quite different so I can’t compare. It deserves a 6/6! It’s probably more for Chinese taste buds just because of the pork floss.
- The base of the bread is the same as the pumpkin bread. It’s a super fluffy egg and butter based bread. It’s delicious! So soft! It’s not a crumb bread but a stretchy fluffy one.
- It’s interwoven with swirls of pork floss or dried pork fluff.
- Pork floss is pretty much shredded pork jerky. It has a cotton like texture and it’s nice and salty. The pork is marinated and dried in soy sauce so that’s why it’s salty. I love this stuff! Asian kids grow up with it.
- This bread is delicious and it’s savoury bread.
- They bake it with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese on top! It’s soooo good! It gives the bread a salty crust and goes great with the salty pork floss. Even without the cheese the crust is still good! Reminds me of those cheese pretzel breads you eat/ate as kids.
- Their breads are so soft and fluffy I recommend to eat them as is. Skip the toaster…if anything you can microwave them for 10 sec. to eat warm.
- Great as a snack!