Restaurant: Butter Bakery – Oreo cookie review
Last visited: March 26, 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC (West Side/Dunbar)
Address: 4321 Dunbar Street
Price Range: $10 or less
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
- Opened September 2007
- Nostalgic home baked goods
- Home made
- Baked daily
- Everything made from scratch
- Family owned and operated
- Familiar to locals
- Sample on Saturday afternoons
- Whole cakes available
- Wholesale available
- Open Tues-Sat. 10:30am-5:30pm
- Baked goods/desserts to go
- Eat in/Take-out
Recommendations: Oreo cookie. There is probably many more, but I haven’t tried anything else yet – I heard the Peanut Butter cookie is better.
Butter Bakery is located near University of BC and it’s completely family owned and operated. They offer traditional American baked goods like cookies, scones, muffins, pies, tarts, cakes, cupcakes, cinnamon buns and even home made marshmallows. Everything is made in house and baked fresh daily with traditional family recipes.
The bakery is called “Butter” – need I say more? I haven’t been to this bakery myself and I actually didn’t know about it until my cousin introduced it to me. She had brought an Oreo cookie home and she was nice enough to share it with me… I don’t know why you would though. This Oreo cookie is delicious. Well actually they’re quite massive so one to yourself would be intense. This is the only thing I have tried so I can’t comment on anything else.
She told me Butter Bakery made massive Oreo cookies, yet I was still not expecting them to be that big. We ended up measuring the thing – this is one big Oreo cookie that requires a not a cup of milk but a bowl of milk for dipping! Oh and don’t worry about who gets the icing because there is plenty to go around.
On the table:
**The Homemade Oreo Cookie – 5/6
- Yummy vanilla buttercream sandwiched between two large chocolate cookies… look out Mr. Christie! $2.74
- Yes! Rub your eyes. This Oreo cookie is 3.5′ high X 1.5′ inches wide.
- The chocolate cookie is slightly crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. It’s actually quite crumbly and it makes a slight crunch when you cut into it. It’s not that bend back and forth pliable chewy and almost like a dense cake-like cookie.
- The middle is creamy fluffy buttercream that tasted more like icing than buttercream to me. It tastes like the icing in real Oreo cookies except fresh so the texture is much better.
- The proportion of icing and cookie is perfect. It would be even better if they used real vanilla beans in the icing… but that’s just my own thing.
- It’s super chocolatey and it really is the “stick to your throat sweet” like my cousin best described. You definitely need milk or water to wash it down. It is a bit too sweet but I still find it delicious and something worth checking out.
- It’s definitely the biggest Oreo cookie I’ve had and I think it’s more than a novelty thing. It’s good!
- Next time I’ll microwave it a bit and eat it with ice cream… drool!
She had brought an Oreo cookie home and she was nice enough to share it with me…
If it wasn’t for this part, I thought you started a new “low” (or high): bring a measuring tape to a place to check the size of food! 😀
Your cookie post just reminded me that I’m planning to bake some cookies for some family friends as a thank you gift tonight.
And that cookie is ridiculous and gives me inspiration to aspire. .. lul;;
ANYWAYS. Amazing cookie. Wanting. Badly. : )
That is one massive oreo! I think my nieces would go crazy for one of those and they would probably be off the walls after. I could eat it for breakfast…right now.
I’ll admit, it was the novelty of the claim “biggest oreo cookie I’ve had in Vancouver” that got me to comment. 🙂 Although, have you had a bigger oreo cookie elsewhere, then?
lol @Kim – you really need to make a list of all the “high/lows” of food bloggers. You know. Measuring tape…taking photos at other tables…driving x kms for food…driving x kms for food only to have it as the only thing you declare to customs… 😀
I’m pretty confident I could make a bigger Oreo cookie…but i’d have to play around with cooking temperature…I DID make an Oreo birthday cake for a friend before and that was 10 X’s the size of this! I did a bottom yellow cake layer and a top chocolate cake layer with cream in the middle….and it was decorated with Oreos and Oreo crumbs…drool!
I recently had that oreo cookie too…found it to be too sweet for my tastes (which is very odd for me to say!)
Colene – I agree with you! That’s why I had to give it a 5/6 instead of 6/6 because it was too sweet…and I have a major sweet tooth too!