Restaurant: Didi’s Gaufres
Last visited: April 9, 2010
Location: Seoul, Korea
Address: 436 -19 1f (In University district. The address is on website, it’s in Korean though)
Phone: 02 322 6061 / 010 2703 8838
Price Range: $10CAD or less
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
- 100% Authentic Belgian Waffles
- Chef Didier Balistaire
- The original waffle shop
- Home made
- Traditional recipe
- Great for gifts
- Made fresh upon order
- Baked daily
**Recommendations: Brussels Mikado, The Basic, pack of their to-go waffles
Didi is born in Belgium and lived in Vancouver for a while before moving to Korea and starting his own waffle shop. Didi’s Gaufres was the first waffle shop in this area. He actually created a waffle craze and since then many waffle shops have opened after him in the same area.
My friend and I with Didier – the owner and chef of Didi’s Gaufres. The packages we’re holding are their take away waffles which make great gifts. They are soft and cakey waffles that aren’t too sweet.
It’s difficult to find this place because there are so many waffle shops. I suggest calling the number and finding the exact location because it took us a while to find and I was with a local. The website has the location, but I don’t think it has the exact address. It was definitely worth our search though because the waffles here are 100% authentic, fresh, and delicious!
I’ve had Belgian waffles in Belgium before and these were the real deal. The handful I tried in Belgium just had more whipped cream and more bananas (or whatever fruit you chose) on top… but that showcases style more so than “authenticity”.
On the table:
- Powdered sugar, fresh cream, syrup (your choice of caramel/chocolate) $3.50 CAD
- I loved the plating. It reminds me of the plating from Twisted Fork in Vancouver.
- The waffle is home made and made upon order so it’s served nice and warm.
- I’m not just saying this because I know Didi, but this is possibly one of the best waffles I’ve had.
- Don’t you just want to bite your computer screen right now?!
- It’s very cakey and moist with a crispy outer edge and the fresh cream just melts into the waffle.
- I’m used to having this type of waffle with more sugar crystals like the ones from Patisserie Lebeau in Vancouver though.
- Bananas, whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup $6.50 CAD
- This is their most popular item and the local favourite.
- This is a square type of waffle and reminded me of the ones I had in Brussels.
- It’s hot, fresh and made upon order with a traditional recipe.
- It’s a super moist batter and it wasn’t too sweet.
- This type of waffle is more bread like than the basic waffle which is more cake like.
- It’s actually quite fluffy but the bananas and toppings weighed it down a bit.
- I couldn’t leave without ordering one of these.
- It’s definitely rich, good quality chocolate, and super chocolaty without being too sweet.
- It was nice and frothy and they make it upon order.