Restaurant: Elite Bakery
Last visited: March 18, 2010
Location: Burnaby, BC (South Burnaby)
Address: 5238 Rumble Street
Price Range: $10 or less
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
Food: 1 (based on the ones I tried)
- Since 1968
- Family owned and operated
- Specializes in Danish pastries
- Traditional Danish recipes
- Extensive selection
- Made from scratch – hand made
- Look very home made
- Wholesale bakery
- Danish/European breads available
- No animal by products
- No preservatives
- Whole sale prices available
- Whole cakes available
- Individual baked goods to go
- Closed Sunday
Elite Bakery is located in Burnaby, BC and it’s been around since 1968. It is started by the Larsen family and the baked goods are traditional Danish recipes passed down from previous generations. The pastries and breads are all made in house, by hand from scratch. While they are Danish they offer some non-Danish ones as well. From breads, pies, muffins, cookies, cakes and cupcakes they offer an extensive list of baked goods. However they even offer some random goods such as samosas and Jamaican patties.
I didn’t actually pick up the baked goods myself or make the selection. Kim (I’m only here for the food!) had actually picked some up that day to share. Therefore I can’t comment on anything else besides the pastries I tried.
To be honest I really want to say something good about it… but I can’t. Out of the 6 desserts I tried – none of them were good. I ended up biting half and not even finishing the piece I tried. For some reason they all had the same problem – they tasted stale and like they were made with old oil/butter/shortening. I was not a fan. Looking at their menu I may go back to try some safer things like cookies, pies, and muffins – but from what I tried I was not impressed at all. For what they were I think they were overpriced too. I won’t go into detail because I think I’ve said enough – so we’ll leave it at that.
On the table:
Brandy Snap – 1/5
- The wrapping part was like a caramel brittle. It was hard and crunchy.
- The inside had a cream filling which tasted like old oil.
Marzipan Slice – 1.5/6
- Marzipan is an almond paste. I love marzipan… but this was hard crumbly and seemed old. As a dessert it was just not enjoyable and too blah.
Sara Bernard – 1/6
- I can’t even comment.
Rum Logs – 1/6
- I’m not a fan of Rum Balls and now I’m not a fan of Rum Logs either.
Lemon Horns – 1.5/6
- Possibly a better one, but by a smidge… but the filling was a bit greasy for my liking.
Butter Cream Cake Slice – 1.5/6
- The presentation and decor I found is quite junior, and for a $1.50 I would rather have a cupcake. Or even a bottle of water…
- The cake part was dry and the icing was so artificial.