Restaurant: Duck Shing Ho (Bakery/Egg roll factory)
Last visited: April 15, 2010
Location: North Point, Hong Kong
Address: Metro: North Point
G/F Goldfield Mansion 64 Java Road North Point, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2570-5529
Price Range: $10CAD or less (about $50HKD/box)
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
- Since 1973
- Egg roll factory/store front
- Most famous Chinese egg roll manufactory in Hong Kong
- Famous for Chinese egg rolls
- Traditional, home made recipe
- Fresh, baked daily, hand selected
- Only 3 flavours available
- Very popular to locals
- Great for gifts
- Sells out quickly (often before closing)
- Take-out only
- Open daily 9:30am – 7:30pm
- Call to reserve your order – highly recommended
- Cash only
**Recommendations: Call to reserve your order. Egg rolls – especially the coconut egg rolls
Duck Shing Ho is the most famous factory in Hong Kong for supplying Chinese egg rolls. It’s a popular snack and dessert that you have probably tried before. Very popular to locals, Duck Shing Ho is not to be missed if you travel to Hong Kong.
Duck Shing Ho is literally a factory. You go in, buy your box and leave. I came at around 6:30pm and was able to buy the last 4 boxes of the day. They’re famous for their coconut egg rolls, but they sold out of these by the time I arrived.
When they sell out – they sell out and there’s no way of convincing them to sell you a box that’s prepared for tomorrow’s shipment (trust me, I tried). They wouldn’t sell me ONE of the boxes you see in the photo. They’re perfect as gifts, available gift wrapped on request. These egg rolls are definitely a local favourite and a must try.
Duck Shing Ho exports within Hong Kong/Asia and parts of Australia and North America – since they’re made is Hong Kong it makes the most sense to try them here!
On the table:
- Butter egg rolls – 1 box = $50HKD – about $6.50CAD
- I’ve had many versions/brands of these egg rolls and this is by far the best egg roll I’ve ever tried. You can taste the home made quality and freshness.
- I can only magine how good the coconut egg rolls are because these ones were already so good.
- They’re very light, flaky and crispy egg rolls that aren’t too sweet but have a nice and rich egg flavour. It’s not too eggy though, they’re perfect.
- These aren’t overly buttery either, so they’re not heavy and they’re perfect with a cup of tea.
- Very delicate, tender and crumbly, the egg roll sheets are so thin and fresh tasting.
- Fresh, baked daily and hand selected.