Hong Kong – Yo Mama Frozen Yogurt

Location: Central, Hong Kong
Address:
MTR: Central Station
Shop 1061, 1/F, Tower Two, IFC Mall, No.1 Harbour View Street, Central
中環港景街1號國際金融中心商場二期1樓1061號舖
(+852) 2872 7000
Price Range: $28-40HKD ($10CAD or less)

1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!

Food: 6

• Homemade mochi
  • Homemade granola
  • Sweetened with Splenda – which is weird… I totally couldn’t tell
  • Loyalty stamp card – buy 10, one free
  • IFC Mall location – Daily 10am-10pm
  • Seating available
  • Various locations, various operating hours

**Recommendations: Green Tea with Mochi

The frozen yogurt craze has not only dominated North America, but also Hong Kong. Yo Mama Frozen Yogurt is one of the best places for frozen yogurt in Hong Kong. They have a few locations, but they are quickly expanding as locals fall head over heels for their froyo. I know it’s just frozen yogurt, but the one here is not to be missed – especially with the homemade mochi.

I’m actually a bit confused as to where it started. I think they’ve even started to franchise in the US so if we’re lucky enough we might get in Vancouver, BC! Someone should franchise it because it’s better than Tuttimelon, Qoola, Pinkberry, and Blueberry World Frozen Yogurt (Blueberry World isn’t that hard to beat though). I like it as much as 21 Choices – which is my favourite frozen yogurt thus far. However the mochi at Yo Mama is the best out of any other frozen yogurt place. It’s exactly like what it is in Japan!

The only thing I’d ding them for is being sweetened with Splenda, however I totally couldn’t tell and actually just noticed now zooming into my photos.

On the table:

Price: Regular: $28HKD ($3.70CAD) Large: $35HKD ($4.80CAD) (includes 1 topping)
Additional toppings: $5HKD – about $0.70CAD

**Green Tea Frozen Yogurt6/6

• With home made mochi and black sesame
  • $33HKD – about $4.40CAD
  • The yogurt tastes like ice cream here! It’s almost like how TCBY tastes like ice cream. It’s not too sweet, doesn’t have a tart yogurt taste and it’s quite frosty in texture.
  • The green tea is so flavourful and it tastes like it’s made from real green tea leaves and not just powder. I’ve never had green tea frozen yogurt this flavourful.
  • The mochi is the highlight! It’s HOME MADE! It’s comparable to what they have in Japan. It’s the softest mochi ever and the pieces are huge! It’s the size of giant grapes. They’re chewy and the texture of squishy marshmallows. It doesn’t even require much chewing before they just melt in your mouth.
  • The black sesame was kind of a let down. It was just black sesame powder and I didn’t care for it. Other than that this was heavenly!

[geotag]

• KimHo says:

Am I the only one who is not in the frozen yogurt bandwagon??? -_-

BTW, Blueberry World folded. Their Broadway location closed and the Robson location was renamed “Fresh”.

A lot of people can’t tell sucralose (commercial name being Splenda) because it does not have that aftertaste of other artificial sweeteners. Otherwise, stevia is a better alternative, as unlike sucralose, it is natural.

Finally, oh, boy, whoever named this place hasn’t heard of “yo mama!” jokes, eh?

• Katherine says:

No way! I didn’t know if our local Yo Mama (Virginia Beach!) was a chain or not. I get the tart vanilla which is AMAZING. I only put on fresh fruit and I load up on Mochi… it is SOOO good and I love the texture with the yogurt. But the splenda part surprises me. The next time I go I will ask… Maybe on the sugar free ones… I don’t eat that, I eat the regular. The regular tart vanilla doesn’t taste fake like splenda… I hope it doesn’t have it. Ours has a whole wall with paragraphs about how healthy it is… it contains a natural probiotic that is really good for you – very healthy stuff … but it does crack me up that I’m in there getting “ice cream” and it literally says “colon health” on the wall!! 🙂

KimHo – really?! Blueberry World folded?!? Yikes!…but also doesn’t surprise me. I actually can totally tell the difference between Splenda and real sugar… just not in this case which is interesting. I do like Stevia though! “Yo Mama” is a funny name lol

Katherine – I know!! I was trying to find the website for Yo Mama and I saw a whole bunch of Virginia stuff! So I’m assuming it’s the same chain? Does the Yo Mama in your town serve home made mochi too? The one in Hong Kong (which is apparently the mother home for Yo Mama) only offered original and green tea flavours. I REALLY wish there was one in Vancouver! I really hate Splenda too… and the one in Hong Kong had no ads about how healthy it was…hmm now I’m really curious!

• Bow says:

But is it equal or better than great ice cream?

It was like McDonald’s soft serve ice cream! In the end it’s still frozen yogurt so it’s not as rich or creamy or hard as ice cream… the tang gives it away, but this one isn’t really tangy.

• Mike H. says:

I guess ”fro-yo” is spreading throughout the world! Those mochi bits remind me of the mochi bits served up at Scoop! on 4th ave.
    They make their mochi in-house as well and sell them by the pack! Craving for some now…

• Mijon says:

wtf there’s a loyalty stamp card?! i could have had a million free froyos by now!

Mike H – REALLY?!?!? NO WAY! I must try Scoop them! I have high standards for mochi now that I’ve tried the real Japanese ones! These ones from Yo Mama were the same!

Mijon – lol ask them!!

• maryami says:

I CANT BELIEVE THIS! we were thinking about opening a fro-yo shop, and call it YoMomma’s but there’s already one!! ours was funnier though it didnt have a beeping cow on it, ours was funny and smart and creative and I wanted to marry our idea because of how good it was but this lame “Yo Mama” ruined it for us.. thank you so much Hong Kong for creating every possible thing on this world, you should probably have a Dumb Blonde fro-yo place too.

Maryami – oh no!!!! LOL! Well maybe you can put a twist onto the name? You know what Vancouver needs? A self-serve froyo place! I tried a couple in Austin, Texas and they’re awesome! They’re all over LA too! You self serve your own, do your own toppings and just weigh it all at the end.

• Joe says:

Looks this is already dated. Yo Mama is not the only player anymore.

And the global players are now in Hong Kong, including TuttiMelon, Tutti Frutti.

Personally, I like TuttiMelon (http://www.tuttimelon.com.hk), Yogo, Jubi Yogurt Bar (http://www.jubi.com.hk), Crumbs (http://www.crumbs.com.hk), and EskiMo (http://www.eskimo.hk??).

@Joe – Welcome! Tuttimelon is from San Francisco so I’ve had that before. We used to have one in Vancouver. I actually enjoy Yo Mama more 🙂 The rest I haven’t tried and yes it’s been over a year since I was in HK! I miss it!

• Joe says:

Are the yogurt shops closing much over there? I saw 3 – 4 close in Hong Kong this past summer. Was really surprising to see since it’s so hot, but I think there’s way too many froyo shops now, but as you know us Chinese are natural copycats so can’t help it I guess.

@Joe – Tuttimelon closed in Vancouver and with every trend sometimes it is just a hype and a city can only sustain so many.

• pamela says:

yo mama uses splenda in their original flavour as a special only and they do advertise it as such. the flavour and texture was fabulous and o thought that it was the perfect treat–no sugar calories and yummy!

unfortunately for me i did not realize how toxic spenda really is. it took about the third time of having the yogurt with splenda for me to put one and one together that it was the cause of my digestive system becoming completely undone. i have never had such painfu bloating, cramping and overall pain. each time i had it it was in the early evening and i was unable to get to sleep until 2am onwards. i have since read up about it and the stuff is toxic! i know that it was the splenda in the frozen yogurt because i stopped having the frozen yogurt with splenda from yomama and i have not had any issues with my digestive system. i have not been back to try their original flavour without the splenda.

• Julia Ma says:

How to become a Yo Mama’s franchisee in China? I have the resources and connection. Thank you.