Restaurant: Yo Mama Frozen Yogurt
Cuisine: Frozen Yogurt/Dessert
Last visited: May 1, 2010
Location: Central, Hong Kong
MTR: Central Station
Shop 1061, 1/F, Tower Two, IFC Mall, No.1 Harbour View Street, Central
(+852) 2872 7000
Price Range: $28-40HKD ($10CAD or less)
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
- Popular Hong Kong frozen yogurt chain
- Quickly expanding franchise
- One of the best frozen yogurt places in Hong Kong
- Local favourite
- Original and Green Tea flavours
- Mixing yogurt flavours allowed
- Hand shaved chocolate
- Fresh cut fruit
- Homemade mochi
- Homemade granola
- Sweetened with Splenda – which is weird… I totally couldn’t tell
- Loyalty stamp card – buy 10, one free
- IFC Mall location – Daily 10am-10pm
- Seating available
- Various locations, various operating hours
**Recommendations: Green Tea with Mochi
The frozen yogurt craze has not only dominated North America, but also Hong Kong. Yo Mama Frozen Yogurt is one of the best places for frozen yogurt in Hong Kong. They have a few locations, but they are quickly expanding as locals fall head over heels for their froyo. I know it’s just frozen yogurt, but the one here is not to be missed – especially with the homemade mochi.
I’m actually a bit confused as to where it started. I think they’ve even started to franchise in the US so if we’re lucky enough we might get in Vancouver, BC! Someone should franchise it because it’s better than Tuttimelon, Qoola, Pinkberry, and Blueberry World Frozen Yogurt (Blueberry World isn’t that hard to beat though). I like it as much as 21 Choices – which is my favourite frozen yogurt thus far. However the mochi at Yo Mama is the best out of any other frozen yogurt place. It’s exactly like what it is in Japan!
The only thing I’d ding them for is being sweetened with Splenda, however I totally couldn’t tell and actually just noticed now zooming into my photos.
On the table:
- With home made mochi and black sesame
- $33HKD – about $4.40CAD
- The yogurt tastes like ice cream here! It’s almost like how TCBY tastes like ice cream. It’s not too sweet, doesn’t have a tart yogurt taste and it’s quite frosty in texture.
- The green tea is so flavourful and it tastes like it’s made from real green tea leaves and not just powder. I’ve never had green tea frozen yogurt this flavourful.
- The mochi is the highlight! It’s HOME MADE! It’s comparable to what they have in Japan. It’s the softest mochi ever and the pieces are huge! It’s the size of giant grapes. They’re chewy and the texture of squishy marshmallows. It doesn’t even require much chewing before they just melt in your mouth.
- The black sesame was kind of a let down. It was just black sesame powder and I didn’t care for it. Other than that this was heavenly!