Restaurant: Luscious Creations
Last visited: August 28, 2010
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Address: 2233 McAllister Avenue
Price Range: Cakes start at $5/slice
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
- Since 2006
- Specializes in any custom cakes
- Popular for provocative cakes
- Accepts ANY requests
- Ideal for bachelorette/bachelor parties
- Novelty cakes
- All occasion cakes – weddings/birthdays etc.
- Large variety of cake/icing flavours
- All peanut/nut-free cakes
- Gluten-free cakes available
- Sugar-free cakes available
- Vegan cakes available
- Egg free cakes available
- Mini/regular/monster cupcakes
Luscious Creations started in late 2006 by owners and bakers Liam Grainger and Natalie Escudero. The store front is in Port Coquitlam, BC and although I’ve never actually been to it, I know that they classify themselves as a custom cake store. I think you can sample and order a small selection of cupcakes they have available day to day, but that’s about it. Although they specialize in all type of cakes, they are popularly known for their provocative cakes. They also address all type of dietary needs and cakes for all occasions, so Luscious Creations is really a do-it-all cake shop. They offer all the basic cake and icing flavours and also have some gourmet icings like raspberry, coconut, mocha and caramel cream.
I was lucky enough to try a Luscious Creations cake because a couple of girls ordered one for my friend’s bachelorette party. The custom design they requested was a penis and I think Luscious Creations came up with the words… I’m sure they make these all the time. I don’t know what else to call it. I wasn’t even going to post on this cake, but people on Twitter were curious (as I would be if I read my own tweet: Eating a penis cake). Seriously, kudos to them for making these naughty cakes! We were having dinner at Society and everyone in the restaurant was taking pictures of it. It’s hilarious, and an ideal cake for bachelorette parties. It reminded me of the provocative donuts from Voodoo Doughnut like the Cock-N-Balls donut. Luscious Creations is pricey, but they did a very good job with both presentation and taste and they really cater to any dietary needs.
On the table:
- Regular cakes : $5.00/slice
- Vegan cakes : $6.00/slice.
- Gluten Free cakes : $7.00/slice.
- Egg free cakes : $5.00/slice.
- This was a regular chocolate black out cake with vanilla icing. They use home made fondant and butter cream icing and they’re both actually good! Most of the time I find myself just peeling off the fondant because it’s always chewy, plaster like , overly sweet or too bland and more for decoration… however, the the fondant from Luscious Creations is actually good! It’s thin and not too sweet and nice and soft. I really liked it and was surprised how good it was.
- The butter cream tastes more like regular icing to me with not much butter flavour or greasy texture, which I also liked. But it’s not very fluffy or creamy and it’s a bit grainy and sugary in texture. They don’t use a lot though and there’s a thin layer between the not as sweet chocolate cake so it’s well balanced.
- The chocolate cake was rich, dense and very moist. It had great chocolate flavour, yet it wasn’t that sweet at all and it was easy for everyone to finish a piece… even the non-dessert eaters.