Follow Me Foodie: Vancouver Food Cart Fest
By Mijune Pak , Follow Me Foodie – WE Vancouver
Published: July 05, 2013 1:00 PM
Updated: July 05, 2013 1:21 PM
Summer is here, which means time for some outdoor dining. While many are lounging at patios, others are getting their cardio by finding the city’s food carts. Street food is about convenience, but some of Vancouver’s street food is worth setting time aside and seeking out.
I’ve tried almost all the food carts in the city by now, and I’m proud to see how diverse the options are. The focus on local and sustainable ingredients and environmentally friendly initiatives is high, and they set a fantastic example for other cities to follow. Despite food trucks being so “last year”, the street food scene in Vancouver is vibrant with a loyal following of street food fans.
Vancouver’s Food Cart Fest, presented by Arrival and The Streetfood Vancouver Society, is every Sunday from 12-5pm until September 22. More than 20 of Vancouver’s favourite food carts come together at 215 W. 1st (between the Cambie Street Bridge and Olympic Village). Along with food carts and trucks, there is live music, DJs, community markets, and entertainment for the whole family. Admission is $2; children under 13 are free.
While all the trucks have something unique to offer, here are 10 of my favourites from Vancouver’s Food Cart Fest, listed in no particular order. This is not a “Top 10” or “Best Of” list (I wrote previously on how I feel about those). These are simply things I like a lot and recommend. You have 12 Sundays to try them all. Read the full article and see my 10 “must try” food truck items!
See more Follow Me Foodie stories from Mijune in the WE Vancouver:
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: The “Forget-Me-Nots” of Vancouver’s restaurant scene
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Wild BC spot prawn season begins
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: The best thing I ever ate…
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Gentrification and Vancouver’s DTES
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Cooking up a career
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Father’s Day for Vancouver foodies
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Sushi 101: Part 2 – Try the nigiri
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Sushi 101: Part 2 – How to use comdiments
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Sushi 101: Part 3 – How to eat it