Best of the City gold-medal winner Mijune Pak reflects on the job of a food blogger. Photo: Justin Lam
By Mijune Pak , Follow Me Foodie – WE Vancouver
Published: November 06, 2013 4:00 PM
Updated: November 06, 2013 4:10 PM
Wow! How exciting! Thank you so much, WE Vancouver readers, for voting me as Best Food Blogger in the city. What an honour. I am overwhelmed with the city’s support. Congratulations to my fellow winners and everyone else featured in WE’s Best of the City food edition.
I am grateful for the award but I was a bit apprehensive since I have expressed my difficulties with the word “best”. I also don’t feel like “the best” because I still have so much more to learn and try.
Whether it is developing my writing, palate or culinary education, I have a lifetime of work to do. The “best part” is that I’ll never know it all, so thank you for challenging me. This is our journey, and a delicious one at that.
How lucky we are to live in a city where eating locally is as exciting as dining internationally. With so many talented chefs from different backgrounds, responsible growers, farmers and artisans, there is little to complain about, yet we still do. Caviar problems.
As much as I am honest about my experiences, the chefs have taught me so much and I thank all of them for sharing their craft. Without them I wouldn’t have work. READ THE FULL ARTICLE.
See more Follow Me Foodie stories from Mijune in the WE Vancouver:
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: The “Forget-Me-Nots” of Vancouver’s restaurant scene
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Wild BC spot prawn season begins
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: The best thing I ever ate…
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Gentrification and Vancouver’s DTES
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Cooking up a career
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Father’s Day for Vancouver foodies
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Sushi 101: Part 2 – Try the nigiri
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Sushi 101: Part 2 – How to use comdiments
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Sushi 101: Part 3 – How to eat it
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Vancouver Food Cart Fest
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Vancouver’s High on Pie
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: What is the definition of local?
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Why Mijune Pak writes about negative experiences.
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Hog Wild in Whistler
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Looking for “authentic” food or authenticity in food
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Modern VS Authentic Ramen
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: We All Scream for Ice Cream
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Sous vide’s stock rising to the top
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Fresh from your local BC farm
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Evolution of the Stilton Cheesecake
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: The Art of Sausage Making
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Local restauranteurs honoured (BC Restaurant Hall of Fame)
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: New takes on Thanksgiving classics
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: Tasting guide through Yaletown
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: The knives come out for BC’s Top Chef
- FOLLOW ME FOODIE: The Obsession with Salted Caramel
Mijune, you are not the best because you know the most about food or have eaten in the most places. You are the best because of your amazing dedication to food and your willingness to be open-minded about everything and work tirelessly to share with your readers. Keep it up! 🙂
You are the best because you inspire us to honor the ingredients and inspiration that goes into so many of the experiences that transcend “Foodie”, and become art on a plate, or heaven on a bun! Keep up the good work. We’re counting on you!
Congrats, Mijune !! You totally deserved it 🙂
I read the full article. Wow, it is so well written!! Very proud of you, boots. You are doing wonderful work and I’m glad you’re getting recognized for it.
You are a true soul. Being who you want to be, practicing integrity and not loosing that passion is not always easy. Especially in your world. I am very proud of you and honoured to have been part of the journey learning more about you and your amazing palette over the past years. The accolades are well deserved and you should celebrate your achievements because they are real, they are authentic. Very happy for you. Congrats!
I think this pic would make a fantastic homepage pic for you 😀
Yeah, totally deserve it and I love constructive reviews 🙂 Plus your S*it Foodies Say video made me fall off my chair laughing on a pretty ‘rainy’ day
A well deserved honour, mon petite…your blog has evolved nicely since the early days. We readers avidly await yer new stories and you haven’t lost your desire to fress(not callin’ you a porker or sumthin’). Yer the best(well…at least the best lookin’) !
@Roger – Thank you so much, Roger!! Means a lot to me to hear that.
@Bruce Robert – Wow. That was so well articulated!! Too kind. I hope to not let you down!!!
@LotusRapper – Thank you long time reader! Your comments/readership and loyalty is valued!!
@Gahz – aww.. thanks big sis!
@Annika – thanks, annika!! I admire YOUR efforts in the food world just as much!! Thank YOU for being inspiring with SocialBites.ca!! 🙂 We learn from each other.
@LotusRapper – You call the shots! 🙂
@Nina – music to my ears!!! So happy I could make you laugh! Thank you for commenting!! Thank you for reading and watching!
@Bow – ha! Very nice of you Bow. Thank you for being one of my most loyal readers. I’m so lucky to have your knowledge, comments and recipes to help me and this blog grow. Thank you for following along the journey and teaching me along the way.
Sorry I’m so late in congratulating you. I am so happy this honor went to you. I don’t know many people who work as hard and as passionately as you. I can’t believe how far you’ve come in such a short period of time. It’s nice to see you have such a loyal fan base and that you are being appreciated for the recognition you are bringing to outstanding dining establishments not only in our fair city but also to our neighbouring provinces and states…..and also throwing in some international flavour as well! Good job! Hope to meet up with you again soon….it seems like forever since I last saw you.
Great job! This is my go-to spot whenever I’m looking for info and photos of a restaurant…especially dim sum.