2013 Follow Me Foodie Favourites & Yearblog
Follow Me Foodie Favourites, BEST of, Memories & Recap of 2013!
Happy New Year! Hope everyone enjoyed their time with family, friends, and of course great food. I know I certainly did.
It was actually the first time since starting Follow Me Foodie in July 2009 that I’ve managed to ease up on the blog and not stress out about not working through the holidays. I used to feel really guilty about it and there is still a lot of self-pressure, but I don’t want to lose the enjoyment of blogging and life outside of it. The benefits of working for yourself is working on your own time, but that also just means working all the time. The idea of the 4 hour work week is still quite foreign to me especially since I’ve really blurred the lines between work, passion and pleasure. A bit taboo for many, but I can’t imagine it any other way.
Wow. 2013 flew by and the last quarter of it was intense with traveling. This year Follow Me Foodie included Follow Me Foodie to Toronto, Follow Me Foodie to Lummi Island (twice), Follow Me Foodie to San Francisco (twice), Follow Me Foodie to Tofino, Follow Me Foodie to Seattle, Follow Me Foodie to Whistler, Follow Me Foodie to Calgary, Follow Me Foodie to the Yukon Territories, Follow Me Foodie to Hong Kong (Round 3), Follow Me Foodie to Japan (Tokyo and Kyoto), and Follow Me Foodie to Mexico (Mexico City and Oaxaca) (Mexico posts will launch soon). I never anticipated any of this happening, but am very grateful of the opportunities to explore food internationally. Just like I said in Follow Me Foodie Favourites, BEST of, Memories & Recap of 2012, the more I travel, the more I try, the more I read, the more I learn, and the more I know I’ll never know everything about food.
This “Follow Me Foodie” adventure is addicting and often delicious, however it’s gone beyond finding the so-called “best dish” in every city, it’s the learning experience and journey getting there I’ve enjoyed most. Of course, there are still those epic moments when I come across a dish I can’t forget, and those deserve to be highlighted, so that’s what I’m doing.
Welcome to my Follow Me Foodie Favourites & Best of 2013! This is a recap and yearbook/yearblog of the BEST Follow Me Foodie Food/Moments in 2013.
NOTE: It’s not necessarily “THE BEST“ (read my rant on “the best” here). Food is personal and I can only discover so much in a year. “The best” is relative to what I have tried, which is definitely not everything. These are just some worth mentioning. It’s more of a 2013 recap/summary and all experiences are from 2013 only. I’ll say “the best” just because I’m weak and want to align with every other “best of 2013″ list out there.
Top 24 Most Memorable/BEST Restaurant SAVOURY Dishes & Food in Vancouver
I missed some of the new restaurants this year and I didn’t get to try as much as I wanted to in Vancouver, but I still made a decent dent. I certainly haven’t stopped eating in my home town and here are my top 24 favourite dishes from this year. Again, not necessarily “the best”, but very memorable.
Listed in no particular order. Based on the menu item, not the restaurant.
1. BaoQi Eateri – Pomelo Salad
2. East of Main – Eggplant Moussaka
3. Pig on the Street – The Breakfast Porker
4. Mogu Japanese Street Eats – Sweet & Spicy Chicken Karaage
5. Chambar – Duo de Pétoncle et Porc
6. Chambar – Moules et Frites – Congolaise
7. Yolk’s Breakfast – Poached Egg Sandwich
8. Blue Water Cafe + Raw Bar – Red Sea Urchin Mousse
9. Blue Water Cafe + Bar – Mackerel
10. Le Tigre – Kiss Ass Rice with Pork Belly
11. Le Tigre – Warm Brussels Sprout and Cauliflower Salad
12. Crêperie La Bohème – Chèvre Galette
13. Diva at the Met – Koofteh
14. Red Star Seafood – Chili & Garlic Fried Alaskan King Crab Knuckles
15. Hawksworth Restaurant – Seared yellowfin tuna crispy pig ear ‘fried rice’
16. Wildebeest – Crispy pork & polenta croquettes
17. Wildebeest – Smoked wings with salted caramel sauce
18. Top Gun J&C Restaurant – Chicken Wings Stuffed with Sticky Rice
20. Broken Rice Vietnamese – Curried Chicken Ballotine
21. Maenam – Tuna Belly
22. Burdock & Co. – Rosemary Smoked Mussels
23. Pourhouse – The Pourhouse Burger
24. The Farmer’s Apprentice – Octopus, nahm jim, min, coriander
See my posts for:
“The Best of” Follow Me Foodie Adventures/Moments/Posts of 2013